Support to the implementation of EU biodiversity policies
Including EU presidencies and the European Parliament
EU policies have a strong impact on biodiversity in Europe and substantially contribute towards reaching the 2010 targets. There is a need to increase stakeholder involvement in these policies and to create synergy with other (regional or pan-European) initiatives. ECNC works closely with the European Commission and its Member States in the implementation of EU biodiversity policies. ECNC participates in the EU Coordination Group for Biodiversity and Nature. ECNC also contributes to the successful implementation of EU policies by providing expertise related to ECNC core areas of work and provides support - if and when desired - to the European Parliament and to the EU presidencies in office.
Examples of ECNC activities include:
- Stimulating involvement of especially the NGO community and the research community in the implementation of EU biodiversity and sustainability policies.
- Contributing to the successful implementation of EU policies - with a special focus on the EC Biodiversity Action Plan - by providing expertise related to ECNC core areas of work.
- Providing support - if and when desired - to the presidencies of the EU in the field of biodiversity policies.
- Providing support to the European Parliament, e.g. joint seminars or meetings on biodiversity monitoring.
- Participating in the EU meetings and conferences on biodiversity.
European Environment Agency
ECNC is strongly involved in assisting the EEA in biodiversity issues. In order to increase synergy, the EEA and ECNC have entered into a memorandum of cooperation, which is implemented on an annual basis. ECNC has been part of the EEA’s European Topic Centre on Biological Diversity, under the lead of the French National Museum of Natural History in Paris, since its inception.
- European Commission
- EU Member States
- International NGOs
- Scientific organizations
For the ETC on Biological Diversity, a consortium of European institutes.
The activities performed in support of the implementation of EU biodiversity policies are funded by ECNC core budget and the European Environment Agency.